Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Year in review ~ 2012

I had every intention of sending Christmas cards this year, but I forget how fast November and December go.  I will just have to settle for a blog update I suppose; although, looking at the bright side of things, I do save paper and ink this way.

This year has been one of ups and downs.  Our kitties turned one early in the year and subsequently got to visit the vet overnight.  They were NOT happy about that, but were very cuddly for a few days after.

In February I was introduced to Advocare, a health and wellness company. Eric and I did their 24-day Challenge, where I lost 15 lbs and Eric lost 17 lbs.  We love the products and are so glad we got involved with this group of people!  They are so positive and are always willing to help you in anyway they can as you work toward your health goals!

In March we took our semi-annual trip to the beach, but were rather sad that the campground we usually stay at was under six inches of water.  Evidently Newport had a very wet spring, and so we stayed at another place for a day or two ant then went north to Fort Stevens for the last 2 nights of our trip.  The older we get, the less interested in getting wet we are, so our trips tend to be in what most campgrounds call "Discovery season" (defined as cheaper and less crowded) so the weather is cooler, but there still plenty to do if you are willing to bundle up a bit. We planned to go again in October, but things got hectic and we weren't able to go.

This summer was a hard one.  Grandpa Jacks died on July 2 and Grandma Orton died August 10.  There is no way to describe the sense of loss and disconnect we felt for months after.  The easiest way to describe the feeling is upside-down and backwards.  After spending so much time with them, we were both at a loss as to how we should proceed in the coming months.  I spent quite a bit of time at the farm, helping bottle Sheffield Cider, which was both exhausting and exciting.  Eric began to work with my uncle Glen, doing both construction and working in a gluten free flour mixing facility.  We still feel this loss, and are well aware that the experiences we had helping them the last few years have changed us for the better.

In November we started getting ready for the annual Badger Mt. Christmas Bazaar.  It is a fun thing to do, and this year we not only did well, but were more relaxed than we have been in other years.  Eric is really hoping to make the rocks and vinyl into a business for real, because it will let us travel a little bit and we both enjoy being creative.

December was CRAZY!  So many fun family things going on, one of the best being that we got to Skype with Reid while he is in Brazil on a mission for our Church.  It was such a joy to hear and see him!

Since we are now in January, I will give you the latest update as well.  We are currently working with my sister Anna to get a website for the rocks and vinyl up and running, so keep a lookout for news on that!

2 comments:

  1. And Claire started a Blog called Polished Therapy about her fun fingernail polish fettish! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's a good thing you didn't come visit in December after all. *sigh* :-) I love your guts!

    ReplyDelete